Saturday, December 3, 2011

Love and Kindness

This exercise was very relaxing for me. I love the beach and listening to the waves come to shore was very relaxing. It allowed me to step away from the stress of daily livig and be free. I could visulize my self sitting on the beach with my eyes close and relaxing. When asked t think of a love one suffering . at first I felt the stress thinking/knowning that someone I care about is suffering, But then I places that love one there on the beach with me  so that they could see beautiful scenery exhale and relax. Visualizing a stranger suffering was hard to do there are so many people suffering due to the economy losing jobs, homes, everything, was harder for me to concentrate on being relaxed. Trying to  show love and kindness to someone that doesn't like me, was a hard to concentrate, and relax, because it bother me if someone doesn't like me.

2 comments:

  1. I like this exercise and want to keep doing it. I did get stuck choosing a person for different parts of the exercise, but I chose the strangers to be in a similar situation as the loved one I picked. So one of the times I chose my sister-in-law who is divorcing my brother because he is a lot of things that I will spare you from, and then I chose to imagine strangers who were also suffering the pain of divorce. This way it wasn't so general.
    I am sure that you don't "like" everyone you meet, but I have learned that often if there is something that bothers me about someone it is usually an aspect about myself that I don't want to look at. Seeing others as a reflection of yourself can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, I enjoyed your post I liked how you brought the family member that was suffering to the beach with you! I find this to make so much sense: "Loving kindness and wisdom are the essential elements that heal at the source and drive human flourishing" (Dacher, 2006).I also know that human flourishing is a process that takes time and willingness to sacrifice other things in your life to save your health and well being! We are not very productive if our minds are constantly clouded with our problems. Many times a situation may seem worse than it is, we must evaluate it and find a solution. Practice is essential in human flourishing! I found it hard to concentrate when I was askesd to expand my focus to include a circle of strangers and embrace the enemy! These are big distractions because I do not feel comfortable in these situations. I know it is about adjusting and putting others ahead of yourself but thsi I find to be most difficult! There was anotehr part in teh assignment about mental workout, it seems you had forgot that part in your blog! I am here to support you and we all experience human flourishing individually and absorb this type of practice in time!
    Dacer, E. (2006). Integral health: the path to human flourishing. Laguna beach, CA; Basic Health Publications Inc.
    Have a glorious day!
    -Dawn, 2011!

    ReplyDelete